Monday, April 27, 2015

Law-Related Education (LRE)
          Law-Related Education teaches individuals how to act as a citizen and how the law affects them. It is used to develop an understanding of how to respond to the law and legal issues in society. Law-Related Education falls under social studies in many ways. For example, take a look under government as shown in the diagram below, it gives a list of all the topics that relate to LRE. 
Law-Related Education fits into the curriculum for three specific reasons:  use of special events about the law, the special unit or course, and the infusion of LRE into various standard courses. Special events about law consist of assemblies, guest speakers, and field trips. Depending on the topic you’re learning, teacher’s can even create an event on a day to get the student’s excited to come to class and make social studies learning fun for the students. Having courses on law related education is more than likely to be included in high school curriculums.
Personally, I remember in my high school there were many law classes that were always available to take. However, I never got the chance to take one, but I know many of friends participated in some of those classes and talked very highly about them. My friends said they actually had the experience of what it feels like to sit in a courtroom and debate over a case study. I find this very interesting because not many schools offer these classes and it shows how important it is to incorporate Law-Related Education into the curriculum.  
Given this assignment, I didn't think I would've of learned this much. I didn't think how important it was for student to understand law related education. I learned many different ways to incorporate this into the classroom in a fun, and engaging way. As a teacher I want to include LRE into my class and go outside with my students to make a difference in society. Students need to be knowledgeable of law related education; they have the entitlement to know their rights and responsibilities as a citizen. I hope to make a difference in social studies for my students and engage them to go outside into their community to take social action in their society. 


No comments:

Post a Comment